Microplastics are small particles of plastic whose length is less than 5 mm. It is found in nearly every product we use in daily life in various forms. Mostly found in cosmetics, synthetic clothes, water bottles, tea bags, and foods that we eat regularly.
Types of Microplastics
1. Primary Microplastics manufactured for industrial use. Mostly it is used in cosmetic products, cigarette butts, synthetic clothes, tea bags, toothpaste. Most microplastics are found in cosmetics products as scrubber, shower gel; they are called Microbeads. MIcrobeads contribute to Plastic Pollution in the same amount or more dangerous than normal plastics.
It contributes up to 2 per cent of Microplastics found in the ocean. As cosmetics and personal care products contain more microbeads, it directly goes to waterways. Up to 10 per cent of their ingredient has microbeads.
The government is not taking any strict action against microbeads, so bigger companies also don’t care about the consumers and sell worldwide. We need to be aware that we are using such products that harm our bodies and the environment.
2. Secondary MIcroplastics are generated from larger plastics such as Plastic bottles when it comes into contact with environmental factors. Basically, there are two major factors included Sun’s UV Ray and ocean waves. When larger plastics come into contact with ultraviolet rays or ocean waves, plastic breakdowns and generates microplastics.
Impacts To The Human Body
Do you imagine a day without Plastic? Yet, wherever we go, we see there is a lot of plastic waste. Need to think plastic as a serious issue because plastic takes hundreds and thousands year to decompose—the variety of microplastics mixed with the sands in different colours found in beaches. Often marine animals consume microplastics as food. Even the filtration process can’t separate microplastics from water.
To increase the strength, durability, elasticity nature of plastic, it mixed with some harmful chemicals. When it mixed with water, and it became more poisonous. So it is dangerous for humankind. It harms our body with different diseases like development delay, reproductive harm, obesity, organ issues.
Steps To Avoid Consumption of Microplastics
We would not be able to avoid plastics completely, but our tiny steps can help to reduce the consumption of microplastics.
- Avoid packaged drinking water.
- Don’t keep hot foods in a plastic container because plastic releases chemicals faster than normal.
- Don’t microwave in plastic containers.
- Switch to rocksalt as a large number of microplastics are in the ocean.
- Avoid teabags switch to natural leaves.
- Eat fresh.
- Avoid fish and seafood because the ocean contains large numbers of plastics.
What do you think about this serious issue? Have you started thinking about this? If you have any suggestion discuss in the comment below.